Placement fee: $975
Volunteers may apply to assist with teaching in escuelas (elementary schools) in small rural communities in the area of San Isidro de El General, about 4 hours south of San José by bus. Several communities have one or two-room school houses with one or two teachers serving 30 to 60 students, grades 1 to 6. Other schools are larger, more developed, with more teaching staff and more resources.
Volunteers may assist in all areas of education: basic classes (reading, writing, arithmetic, social studies, geography), English language instruction, environmental education, arts and crafts, music, sports and recreation. Volunteers work under the supervision of teachers and school administration, but are also expected to work independently to a large degree. They should be prepared create their own creative lesson plans, activities and teaching techniques.
There may also be opportunities to be involved with a community in other ways. Past volunteers have offered evening classes in conversational English to parents and other adults.
Room & board: Room and board are provided by local families for approximately $8 to $10 per day. Most homes have running water, indoor plumbing and electricity.
- Volunteers should be self-motivated, able to work independently and prepared to create their own lesson plans.
- A background in Spanish language is necessary. Most volunteers participate with the goal of improving their Spanish skills during their stay. We often help volunteers arrange to start their stay in Costa Rica with intensive Spanish conversation classes at a local language institute.
- Volunteers should feel comfortable living with a Costa Rican family in a rural area, with basic accommodations.
- A minimum time commitment of 3 months is required. Longer time commitments are preferred.
- Experience in teaching or working with youth is helpful.
Contact us with any questions regarding this placement.
Homepage | FAQs | Volunteer's Adventures | Application Form | Contact Us